The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks B / Berkshire Hathaway

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/he-has-negotiated-before-on-a-limited-basis-for-30544089.aspx

Subject:  Re: Berkshire buys Heinz Date:  2/15/2013  11:11 AM
Author:  DrtThrwingMonkey Number:  198661 of 211989

He has negotiated before on a limited basis. For example:

“We agreed to purchase 35,464,337 shares of MidAmerican at $35.05 per share in 1999, a year in which its per-share earnings were $2.59. Why the odd figure of $35.05? I originally decided the business was worth $35.00 per share to Berkshire. Now, I’m a “one-price” guy (remember See’s?) and for several days the investment bankers representing MidAmerican had no luck in getting me to increase Berkshire’s offer. But, finally, they caught me in a moment of weakness, and I caved, telling them I would go to $35.05. With that, I explained, they could tell their client they had wrung the last nickel out of me.

This is a nice example of the Latin proverb, exceptio probat regulam.

Imagine Buffett saying

"I never increase my price."
- Never?
"OK, well I did once. After a few days of constant harassment, and in a moment of weakness, I went from $37.00 to $37.05. But it hurt."

He can't say that any more. Well, maybe he can say, "3G ran the negotiations, it wasn't me." So maybe the record is still intact.

Regards, DTM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us