The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Capital Gains for US Citizen Residing in Canada Date:  2/15/2013  11:26 AM
Author:  TMFSandman Number:  117787 of 127549


If a US citizen resides in Canada he's required to file a Canadian Federal return, a provincial return, and then a US Federal return, claiming a foreign tax credit for the taxes paid in Canada on the US return.

Capital gains are taxed at 50% * your marginal tax rate in Canada.

If you have large enough capital gains you pay estimated taxes (Instalment payments in Canada) just like here in the US.

My question is what if you have a US brokerage account denominated in US dollars and you sell something for a capital gain? The cost basis and net proceeds gains are all in US dollars. What's the law say on how that gets translated to Canadian dollars in a tax return? Is it the exchange rate on the day of sale or some other method?


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us