The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Capital Gains for US Citizen Residing in Can Date:  2/15/2013  2:27 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117790 of 127753

My question is what if you have a US brokerage account denominated in US dollars and you sell something for a capital gain?

Have you checked the treaty? I seem to recall that unlike dividends, cap gains are not dual taxed. Of course all I paid attention to was US citizen and resident selling Canadian stock from a US account, CNI, specifically.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us