The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-remember-when-the-whole-bush-tax-cuts-expiring-30544742.aspx

Subject:  Re: Guess Who's Back? Date:  2/15/2013  3:41 PM
Author:  Beridian Number:  671683 of 736103

I remember when the whole Bush Tax cuts expiring thing was going down and Boehner offered to close loopholes instead of raising tax rates and Obama said no, he said he'd veto anything that didn't raise taxes directly.

Except that Boehner never put forth legislation or any specific statements that specified which those loopholes would be closed. Everyone knows doing so would be political suicide.

regarding the rest of this thread, I cannot speak for everyone but personally I admire wealthy people, especially the quintessential self-made millionaire. I also teach my children about hard work and putting in the effort required to attain a goal. We probably agree on a lot more than you would imagine.

One thing that I think dramatically changed the social and economic climate in the Unites States is the when both parents working full time became the norm. I would guess that this started back in the 1970s, and there are likely many varied reasons why, but I do not think that lack of hard work or poor moral character are among them.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us