The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks D / Disney

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-expect-more-production-costs-will-leak-out-30545388.aspx

Subject:  Re: Harrison Ford Signed? Date:  2/15/2013  11:45 PM
Author:  Fuskie Number:  48423 of 49822

I expect more production costs will leak out closer to the film's release, but I am not as sure we are "entitled" to this information. Disney is a huge company and I can't imagine them providing line item budgets for every project. No one is asking about the costs of the specific lands or attractions at Shanghai Disney. No one has asked if the cost for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was reasonable under a certain amount, or the Haunted Mansion could be operated more cheaply with 998 ghosts.

At some point, we have to trust in the management team in which we invested. Every year we get the opportunity to vote for or against the Board of Directors, whose responsibility to us is to make sure management is running the company in our best interests. They are the ones that set the fiscal management rules and look at big ticket projects and give the company a green light, red light or sends it back for more work. It is Iger's responsibility to make sure his leaders are fiscally responsible and he himself is responsible to the Board.

As for the movies themselves, Disney has 3 years to not only write, shoot, edit and market the film, but that is also 3 years to integrate it into the Disney ecosystem (to borrow the term from Apple), or what I will now call the Mousecosystem. That means potentially adding Star Tours to any theme park resorts that do not already have it, bringing Star Wars onto the cruise ship (think 80's disco night to the Star Wars theme), bringing the Clone Wars over to Disney XD from Cartoon Network, maybe even introducing a new Padawan show on Disney Junior. And how about intergalactic sports shorts coverage on ESPN?

Fuskie
Who expects the new films will be placed some decades into the future, rather than try to make Ford, Hamilton or Fisher look like their 20's selves, even with movie magic...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us