The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-cruise-ship-reminds-us-of-an-amtrak-train-we-30545771.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cruise Ship Date:  2/16/2013  10:39 AM
Author:  Brooklyn1948 Number:  18221 of 19380

The cruise ship reminds us of an Amtrak train we once took to Orlando -- 27 hours of hell!

A few days ago we took Amtrak from NY Penn Station to Boston South Station. The train poked along and poked along and I kept thinking that at the age of 64 I could walk faster than the train.
Finally in New Haven an announcement was made that they had to change engines. Seriously? I tracked down the conductor who said they were having mechanical problems.
They always have issues on Amtrak. The Acela Express is no better. Twice we took it and ended up sitting outside of Providence for an hour with no explanation. No reason to spend the extra money if it's going to be just as slow as the northeast regional.
We will be making the trip a few more times because we are looking to move from NY to MA in a few months. When we get there, we will buy a car and sayonara to Amtrak.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us