The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ok-so-much-for-posting-from-memory-without-last-30548527.aspx

Subject:  Re: Filing for a minor Date:  2/18/2013  1:21 PM
Author:  KLTolly Number:  117820 of 121254

OK, so much for posting from memory without last year's return in front of me. My apologies for misstating the situation.

Given the multiple unusual items for 2011, we had a CPA prepare them. We did claim him as a deduction on the parent return. We had to have a separate return filed for him, as he received more than 10 years of SS benefits in 2011. (His dad became disabled when he was an infant.) I did not prepare our taxes last year, due to large lump-sum payments for both husband and child, along with repayment of disability insurance payments from the SS proceeds. (The repayment then triggered reduction credits for taxes paid previous tax years, as his disability income was taxable.)

Now that things have somewhat normalized, I plan to return to preparing our returns myself.

So, with that stated, can I include him (and his income) on my return this year, or does the IRS require that once his own return is filed, it must remain that way? Until TY2011, his minimal interest and dividends were low enough for inclusion on our return.

Thanks again-

Tina
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us