The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/beginning-retirement-investing-30548574.aspx

Subject:  Beginning Retirement Investing Date:  2/18/2013  1:45 PM
Author:  scwrigh2 Number:  71408 of 75776

Dear All,

I have just graduated with a degree in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. I have begun working with Johnson Controls and I would like to begin my retirement investing. I am 23 years old right now.

JCI has a 401K with a company match that I plan on using from the beginning.

My next questions are as follows:

1) How much is a good average % of income to begin saving with? I would like to get used to saving a certain amount that way I do not live above my means right now while I have very little expenses (No wife, kids, etc).

2) I would like to set up a Roth IRA to invest in as well as my company's 401K. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to invest that Roth IRA into?

3) For retirement, are these two accounts going to be enough if I continually save in them over the course of my working years? Or should I be investing in regular stocks for retirement as well (dividends, etc)? I plan on doing regular stock investing but I was not sure if I should plan on this being for retirement or other future endeavors/expenses (IE college, etc).

Thank you for all of your help!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us