The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-know-any-number-of-people-who-married-someone-30548981.aspx

Subject:  Re: Beginning Retirement Investing Date:  2/18/2013  5:44 PM
Author:  Gingko100 Number:  71424 of 75525

We know any number of people who married someone who was strongly the artist type--a nice diversion from being surrounded by engineering types, but generally didn't work long-term.
I know a lot of partnerships (including my own parents 53-year marriage) which is a pairing of opposites, and works brilliantly. More important than being an engineer/engineer match is to be on the same page about money. I know many artist types married to engineer types and the marriages are solid. But they are both frugal and both savers (as far as I can tell from the outside).

I think the key thing as far as savings is just to save as much as you can, and then try to hold lifestyle down when you get raises, so the incremental add goes into savings.

One cautionary note. It's often very tempting when you work for a big, solid, stable company to invest heavily in their stock (even in 401K) and to do the ESPP. I would caution against it, except for a tiny tiny % of your investing. It's the single biggest mistake I have made in my financial life. I had far too many of my eggs in one basket as far as company stock when I was young and naive. And consequently I lost a bundle on a stock that "could never go down."
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us