The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/arretequotthat-does-sound-frustrating-i-think-30555395.aspx

Subject:  Re: Not a grest 24 hours.... Date:  2/21/2013  7:40 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  672579 of 741754

arrete:"That does sound frustrating. I think my Prius is the same age as yours. I sure hope the battery isn't thinking of conking out. I have a lot of long distance driving to do this spring and summer."

It's been a bit weird starting for two weeks......the whole dash lit up when you went to start it......If you get extra lights when you push the button...especially the 'red triangle'....it likely means your battery is on its last legs...it started up OK.....so I just kept on driving....

The original batteries last about six years......

driving long distances don't make a difference....it either starts or doesn't.

If you get the 'red triangle' when it starts..... you better get your battery checked pronto.........that means it's getting marginal.....or you could have them check it the next time it is in for service.....

BUt if it has been six years....put aside $250 or so for a new one. ONly Toyota stocks them.

You can jump start a Toyota.....but you have to know what you are doing...and the car you are getting a jump from MUST BE OFF......the tow truck people usually know that...at least AAA folks.....

I've been AAA member for 20 years...ever since I moved to TX.....probably was in VA too..... used them 3 times now in the past year or so...... banged tire on curb on the Malibu and it went flat...had to have AAA come and change that tire.... it goes in spurts.....

Good luck on your prius...remember....if you get the 'red triangle'.....when it starts...you better hustle to the Toyota dealer pronto..... it's the 'death symbol'.....

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us