The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks D / Disney

Subject:  Re: PS4 Coming this Christmas Date:  2/21/2013  11:31 PM
Author:  DCWD40 Number:  48435 of 50486

Buying EA would also result in Disney owning game titles, such as EA Sports or Dead Space, that do not exactly fit in its family entertainment image. Do you sell those off? If so, you sell off a chunk of profitability.

EA has games like SimCity that are family friendly. At the other extreme is Crysis. In between are Star Wars (yes, a Lusasfilm licensed product), The Simpsons, and Poker. Plus, it is expected to make almost $300 million (after taxes) in the fiscal year that ends March 2013. EA would yield a 5% after-tax return to Disney on the basis of a $6 billion purchase price. Or, thought another way, it could cover-up the poor performance of today's limping operation. I'd leave EA untouched in terms of the games they would offer under Disney ownership.

Speaking of a family image, I remember the days when Walt Disney was fearful of serving alcohol in the theme parks. Now, it is a featured item in such events as EPCOT's Flower and Garden Festival. [I could have mentioned the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival but that was too obvious.] Even the Magic Kingdom has it on the menu at Be Our Guest [after years offering it at Club 33 -- a private affair inside the park.].

Disney seems to have no problem moving away from a family image at the corporate level. Touchstone Pictures was created so Disney could release more adult-oriented movies. Pulp Fiction, a cult classic and a very profitable movie for Disney, is a Miramax release and is not aimed at Bible Belt families. ABC recently had no problem bringing Good Christian B*tches to prime time. So, worrying that an EA title may not be family friendly is hardly something that would cause a problem at Disney headquarters.

An EA buy could fix a broken and money losing Division while at the same