The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks D / Disney

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-to-disagree-with-the-concept-of-buying-ea-30557680.aspx

Subject:  Re: PS4 Coming this Christmas Date:  2/23/2013  4:40 AM
Author:  esxokm Number:  48437 of 49985

I have to disagree with the concept of buying EA. Here's why.

While an interesting prospect, I think the risks going forward in an industry that EA has a lot of exposure to would outweigh whatever benefits might be acquired by such an investment.

I think recent acquisitions have to be taken into account. We own Pixar, and we own Lucasfilm. Those two companies right there could theoretically take care of all of Disney's gaming-studio needs. Lucasfilm has a very serious and respected game division, while Pixar could, I have to assume, have some of its programmers work on simple console/handheld titles on the weekend (by simple I mean traditional platform-type games that were prevalent on the 16-bit platforms; Epic Mickey on 3DS might offer an example).

There would be too mucy difficulty in integrating the company with Disney.

$6 billion is a lot of money. It could fund a sizable dividend increase, an attraction or two, and a bunch of movies cum marketing budgets. Considering that we've already made several acquisitions, and considering that the acquisitions made by Interactive have either failed or come up short (in my opinion, while not a defined failure, I believe Club Penguin has definitely come up short and is not a particularly attractive asset for the company), I don't think Disney should be making any acquisitions for this division. Instead, let the fortunes either succeed or fail on the back of the investment made in Infinity.

Remember that a solution exists as far as exposing the company to video games is concerned: licensing. Disney can always license its IP. I've said this before, but what Disney really should do is try to bundle all those old NES/SNES/etc. platform games from the past and sell them to audiences today on digital platforms (and maybe even on the DS/Wii/PS3/etc. in physical form). Remember the Capcom games? Remember The Lion King for Genesis. Look up the gameplay on YouTube. I can't be the only one who would love to see those games again. I wonder if there would be licensing problems with this idea; one would thnk Disney retained rights to the source code, but I have no idea.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us