The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/along-the-same-lines-i-tried-this-week-to-find-30558039.aspx

Subject:  Re: Time cover story: why medical costs are risi Date:  2/23/2013  12:31 PM
Author:  ResNullius Number:  672752 of 757793

Along the same lines, I tried this week to find out the actual cost of one of my prescription meds, which was subject to heavy restrictions by my Medicare drug plan (it's also restricted by most other plans too). Anyway, it's a generic drug, and I could not understand why it would be restricted. My drug plan says that the cost of the drug to UHC is less than the co-pay, even though it's restricted by the same plan. I called my usual pharmacy and was told that the actual cost was 10 times the amount of my co-pay. I checked with other pharmacies, and I got wildly different prices. I checked the internet and got wildly different prices. My doc finally was able to convince UHC that the drug was important enough that UHC gave me an waiver for it, and I now can get it for my $6 co-pay. WTF!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us