The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/to-expand-of-this-point-i-spoke-with-my-brother-30558233.aspx

Subject:  Re: ObamaCare and the '29ers' Date:  2/23/2013  2:53 PM
Author:  307wolverine Number:  672762 of 741523

To expand of this point, I spoke with my brother today. He works on Gov Snyder's staff and deals with all things budgetary for the state. As the state digs deeper into the inner workings of Detroit, they are continually amazed at what they see.

For example, the police department cannot accurately say how many people work for the department. There is no department in the city that has an accurate count of their assets. There is no system in place to automatically withhold city income taxes from governmental employees, let alone private sector ones.

The union work rules are so restrictive that only one designated employee can work on a certain piece of equipment. Let's say that a fire engine struck something and needs repair. If the officially designated person is on vacation, medical disability leave, or just doesn't feel like doing it this week, it doesn't get touched.

The list goes on and on. Nothing works in the city of Detroit. EVERY system needs to be rebuilt.

I posted a story yesterday where 1/3 of the city's revenue for the fiscal year will go towards retirees pensions or health care. The place is even more Third World than I envisioned.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us