The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-sure-going-to-try-and-hunt-down-the-movie--30559277.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hot Coffee Date:  2/24/2013  12:28 PM
Author:  BlueGrits Number:  418464 of 439305

I'm sure going to try and hunt down the movie -- sounds fascinating.

I got curious about this several years ago and found a number of really good articles on it, many adding details often (ahem) "lost" when told by certain parties. Indeed, some try any angle they can to make MCD's look good....

As I recall, one factor in the trial was that MCD's had already been cited multiple times for violations of the health code by serving liquids too hot. The woman originally asked only for coverage of medical expenses and was told "No". She got an atty and asked only for medical expenses plus atty expenses and was told "No." When the jury ruled in her favor, the punitive penalty was based on their repeatedly flaunting violations of the law and callous attitude toward her situation.

I *think* there was also a moment in the trial where a MCD person was on the stand and the woman's atty handed him/her a cup of coffee at the MCD temperature and was asked to drink it on the spot. Wouldn't do it. (So much for those who say "That's how people like their coffee!")

When asked what kind of coffee they like, most people say something like "rich, dark roast" but the reality of is that only about 25% do. (I guess people don't like to say things like "milky, sweet coffee".) If you take coffee and pile on additives, that lowers the temp.

In any event, looking forward to the movie.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us