The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/no-there-was-no-comment-about-that-or-i-missed-30559311.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hot Coffee Date:  2/24/2013  12:55 PM
Author:  sykesix Number:  418467 of 445769

No. There was no comment about that (or I missed it). Only that the old lady wasn't the first to file a complaint about excessively hot coffee at McD's.

I disagree it was excessively hot. One of the many times this topic came up I started looking at gourmet coffee websites to "prove" that McD's coffee was too hot. But every site I went to (including Starbucks, IIRC) recommended serving coffee at 175-185 degrees. Brewing temperatures are of course much higher, and the typical drinking temperature is lower. But most establishments serve coffee at those temperatures. That's the industry standard.

Bottom line is that there is a reasonable expectation that coffee is served hot. If McDonald's spilled the coffee on her, I could see her point. But she's the one who spilled the coffee. I'm impressed she had better lawyers than McDonald's, but this was her fault.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us