The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-been-burned-before-actually-by-coffee-30559427.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hot Coffee Date:  2/24/2013  2:15 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  418476 of 445546

I've been burned before. Actually, by coffee. From a restaurant. I had to go to the hospital and everything. I'm not minimizing her pain.

What I am wondering is why I don't have millions and millions of dollars because of it.

Did you have 3rd/4th degree burns? Did the restaurant pick up your hospital tab? Did you sue?

If you can, watch the film. See for yourself. If you rely on the media reports of the time you'll be convinced (as I was) that she just wanted a secure retirement (she was elderly). After seeing the film I realized that what we heard was heavily filtered and biased. And all the subsequent "citizens for..." groups were actually fronts for corporate lobbies.

Ultimately, and I think this was the larger point of the film, we have to trust our jury system to do the right thing**. They get all the information, we just get what the press tells us. Sometimes they will mess up. But mostly they get it right. If we can prevent corporations from buying elections for judges, and get rid of the award limits, the courts/juries will do fine. Juries are made up of people just like us. Favoring personal responsibility, etc. If they think a suit is frivolous, they won't award anything. You wouldn't. I wouldn't. I don't think we're that atypical.

1poorguy

**And as I typed that I flashed to the GITMO situation...interesting to me that we didn't trust our courts to do the right thing with the detainees there, so we violate our Constitution (and, more generally, our ideals) and detain those people without trial. Worse than debtor's prison because at least the debtors could be bought out of prison by someone ponying up the cash.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us