The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quot1-i-can-do-whatever-dumb-thing-i-want-and-30559831.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hot Coffee Date:  2/24/2013  8:40 PM
Author:  icono5 Number:  418486 of 439626

"1) I can do whatever dumb thing I want and get rich from it as long as I know where to find the right lawyer and give him most of my money;"
------------------------------------
One thing we should remember, NTJ, is that both state and federal courts have long imposed sanctions on attorneys for filing frivolous lawsuits. That's an aspect of tort "reform" that has been present for decades and which precludes most outlandish outcomes. Sure, we can always cherry-pick a few exorbitant rewards, and juries can and do occasionally engage in some form of nullification, but those outcomes are not typical.

No one in this thread has attempted to cast OJ in positive moral terms. We should all, however, _want_ good, aggressive lawyering--in particular from defense attorneys. That's a check on overreach by the state, an issue on which limited-government advocates should (in theory) concur. The classic maxim in the law is (roughly): better ten guilty defendants go free than a single innocent one go to prison.

Steve
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us