The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tim-thats-what-you-said-about-natgas-too-now-i-30560168.aspx

Subject:  Re: Water Problems in the West Date:  2/25/2013  7:49 AM
Author:  tim443 Number:  416646 of 459198

Tim, that's what you said about NatGas too. Now I suppose we have to build another pipeline for water right next to the oil? :)

Dan

I used to think that was a great idea until I found out getting liquids to y'all is not really downhill all the way in spite of what the map shows. }};-()

Apparently the cost of pumping water over long distance is prohibitive unless you happen to have a mountain source in California and you are heading downhill for the coast.

I read a pretty good book once (title escapes me) that said the smartest way to move water to dry areas is not to move the actual water but rather the agricultural products as this sector is very wasteful with water use in dry areas. The example they used was Saudi Arabia subsidizing wheat production using desalinated water.

Since you mention pipelines thanks for the nice segue for this article though.

These people are not wasting any time getting that "cheaper" Canadian oil to those refineries in Texas.

Any <What, you find eau de Potomac Swamp Water offensive!> mouse

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/south-leg-keystone-xl-oklah...

South leg of Keystone XL from Oklahoma to Texas hits halfway mark, company says

By Dan Holtmeyer, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press – Sat, 23 Feb, 2013 1:43 PM EST

OKLAHOMA CITY - While the debate continues over whether the United States will approve a proposed oil conduit from Canada to the Gulf Coast, the segment from Cushing, Okla., to the Texas Gulf Coast is halfway toward completion and could be transporting oil by the end of the year.

Nearly 4,000 workers in Oklahoma and Texas are aligning and welding a 485-mile section, TransCanada spokesman David Dodson told The Associated Press.

"We're right at peak right now," he said. "We hope to have it in operation by the end of this year."

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us