The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-why-dont-you-ask-those-calling-owebama-a-30561432.aspx

Subject:  Re: Woodward: Why Is Obama Lying? Date:  2/25/2013  5:55 PM
Author:  xLife Number:  673021 of 744165

But why don't you ask those calling Owebama a liar how they know what he believes about who initially proposed sequestration?
---
Alright, I will, because I have more intellectual integrity than you do. This is the problem, isn't it?

No. It's more like a non sequitur.

Unless we have audio or video showing that Owebama [This spelling isn't clever. It's juvenile.] actually conceived and promoted sequestration, we have only Bob Woodward's testimony as "evidence" that the conversation went down as he says it did. Woodward wrote:

The White House chief of staff at the time, Jack Lew, who had been budget director during the negotiations that set up the sequester in 2011, backed up the president two days later.

I know. I read the story. And Woodward talked about this months ago when his book came out. We're talking about slightly different things. Obama says the idea for automatic cuts wasn't his. It was Congress's. Woodward says the mechanism for making those cuts happen, the so-called "sequestration," was Jack Lew's, Obama's budget director, idea.

Either way, I don't know who first came up with the idea and don't really care. What difference does it make? Congress passed it whoever came up with idea first. What's going on now is that Republicans in Congress are preparing the ground to pin any of the blame for whatever bad stuff happens because of sequestration, i.e. because they won't do their jobs, on Obama. This whole "he lied" nonsense is just political blame-placing and buck-passing. Congress can easily avoid sequestration if it wants to. I think many Republicans actually want sequestration and whatever pain to the economy it causes so they can blame Obama for it.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us