The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Forgot account on Form 8938 for 2011 tax return Date:  2/26/2013  12:38 AM
Author:  tangofan Number:  117896 of 127533


I have just noticed that an account for a stock purchase plan through my employer is actually a foreign account that needs to be reported on Form 8938 (and also on treasury department form TD F 90-22.1). I filed both forms for my 2011 personal income tax return, but did not list that account on either form. Of course I declared the income from that account.

- So I am assuming that I need to file an amended return for 2011, correct?

- If so, is it correct that I also need to send in Form 1040X (even though there is no change in tax liability) in addition to Form 8938?

- Do I also need to send in a new form TD F 90-22.1 or will it be sufficient to add that account to my form for the 2012 return?

Thank you in advance for any help on the matter,
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us