The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  1099R for a Transfer? Date:  2/28/2013  12:52 PM
Author:  DWBardy Number:  117899 of 123001

My wife used money that was in a traditional IRA to repay years of service credit she had previously withdrawn from a Teachers' Retirement System (IRC 401A plan - defined benefit plan). This check was addressed to the T.R.S. (FBO my wife) and went DIRECTLY to the T.R.S. so it would seem to be a trustee to trustee transfer, NOT a rollover. Nevertheless, Merrill Lynch chose to issue us a 1099R showing the amount as a distribution and used Code 1 (Earl