The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 1099R for a Transfer? Date:  2/28/2013  2:58 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117902 of 127752

1. Is this a rollover requiring issuance of a 1099R, or is it a trustee to trustee transfer for which NO reporting is required?

Anytime an employer plan is involved a 1099-R is required. The only time a transfer doesn't require a 1099-R is when you do a direct transfer from one IRA custodian to another.

Expanding on Peter's response, you need to make sure this was a tax-free rollover. If it was you simply report it as such on line 15 of your 1040.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us