The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/people-slip-and-fall-when-they-mop-the-restrooms-30569094.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hot Coffee Date:  3/1/2013  1:59 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  418726 of 440844

People slip and fall when they mop the restrooms, I'm sure they get plenty of complaints, but they still mop them. Why? The number of people who like clean restrooms way outnumbers the number of people turned off by the logistics of keeping the restrooms clean. Same with coffee temperature.

IANAL, but it is clear those are different. First, when they mop the floor they often close the room. And they always put out caution signs. From there it is what "a reasonable person can expect".

So, should a "reasonable person" expect burns severe enough to require skin grafts if they spill a cup of coffee??

The jury said "no". I find myself in agreement with them.

(And none of this addresses the larger point that such deliberations belong in the hands of a jury, not among legislators trying to impose limitations on what a jury can award. To do otherwise basically says we don't trust our jury system, and instead trust limits imposed by legislators who are influenced (or out-right purchased) by corporate lobbying groups. I'll stick with the juries, thank-you-very-much.)

1poorguy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us