The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: State Tax? Date:  3/1/2013  7:31 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117929 of 127642

I have two kids with minor accounts that I generated capital gains last year and they also had a long term capital gain carryover from previous years.

I assume you meant capital loss carryover. If not, I'm as curious as JAFO.

I was just at the Illinois website helping a friend and paused to check the "Who Must File?" part of the instructions. After only a cursory examination it looked to me like they have to file (required to file a Federal return), but may not have to pay any tax (they still get a personal exemption amount).

Again, this was a cursory check and I'm not intimately familiar with Illinois rules, so check it out yourself.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us