The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-instance-i-wrote-a-put-option-on-june-11-30569943.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question on Reporting Short Options Position Date:  3/2/2013  12:31 AM
Author:  0x6a74 Number:  117936 of 121599

For instance: I wrote a put option on June 11, 2012 and bought it back on July 10, 2012. The report from my broker (as imported directly into Turbo Tax) lists June 11, 2012 as my "Date Acquired" and July 10, 2012 as my "Date Disposed".

Is that correct treatment, or is June 11 my "Date disposed" and July 11 my "Date acquired" because it was a written (short) position? And if the brokerage messed up the dates, will I need to correct them, or will the IRS not care because it's short term anyway?

Similarly, I had some written call options (covered with longer term bought call options) where the 8949 form lists the acquisition date before the disposal date, even though the opening position put me short the calls.

something similar happened to me with Turbotax

all my options, they put Close date (expired or 'bought back') in both Date Acquired and Date Sold.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us