The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-couple-more-points-to-consider-regarding-ira-and-30571946.aspx

Subject:  Re: Better to hold ETF in IRA or outside of it Date:  3/3/2013  9:52 PM
Author:  thomasbihn Number:  71465 of 76420

A couple more points to consider regarding IRA and 401k accounts:
1) Retirement accounts are generally untouchable in bankruptcy proceedings. While this may look like a remote possibility for you now, financial situations can change drastically on a dime and I personally like the security I feel in that I'll still have money left over if something like that should happen.
2) For Roth IRAs, you can withdraw the full amount you've contributed (not any gains) at any time with no penalty. Of course, you will no longer have that in your retirement account unless you return it within the rollover period, but it's another nice safety net.
3) While you may be theoretically more efficient with certain investments in a taxable account due to paying a lower tax rate on the capital gains, you have to consider that when you start withdrawing these funds out of a similar IRA account, you will likely be in a lower tax bracket anyway and supplemented by social security with a house paid off. You will only need to pull the money you are mandated to pull plus whatever you actually need. You are earning more than you need to get by now and saving the rest. In retirement, you won't be saving the money you withdraw unless it exceeds your needs due to the mandatory amount. Also, the non-taxed dividends and capital gains in your IRA will be compounded for years before any tax is paid. I have to believe that it is likely a wash at worst (depending on your time horizon).

Tom
~who appreciates anyone correcting him for any errors presented due to misconceptions
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us