The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-submit-that-people-really-do-expect-coffee-to-30572195.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hot Coffee Date:  3/4/2013  6:49 AM
Author:  NailThatJello Number:  418818 of 442345

I submit that people really do expect coffee to be hot.

What an outrageous claim! Tone it down, will ya? :-)

It turns out the ANSI standard for home coffee makes is for coffee to be brewed at 200 degrees, and held at a minimum temperature of 170 F. That *is* the industry standard.

Oh, my. We've overlooked the impacts of cup, cream, sugar and spoon here. From your source,
In Barnett and Oubre the courts reported that the industry-standard serving temperature is between 175° and 185°>?F... home coffee makers that claim to follow the standard (a voluntary step; ?no statute or regulation requires compliance) must brew and hold coffee at a temperature that does not fall below 170°. The lower temperature limit assures generally acceptable drinking temperature when pouring into a cold cup, adding cream, sugar and spoon. Coffee served at 180° by a roadside vendor, which doubtless expects that it will cool during the longer interval before consumption, does not seem so abnormal as to require a heads-up warning.

I rarely buy coffee any more because its not hot enough for my taste. That has damaged the US economy.

Then again, society has protected me from lap burns, thank you very much. Now if you can just do something about stopping nuclear war and global warming and the general rape of the planet, I'll really be thankful.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us