The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-no-problem-with-cattle-grazing-but-30572790.aspx

Subject:  Re: Welfare Ranching Date:  3/4/2013  12:28 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  1863367 of 1976763

I have no problem with cattle grazing, but ranchers should pay fairly for grazing their herds on public lands--we needn't operate this aspect of government as a charity, except perhaps in the form of small business start-up loans.

ASIDE
I lurve pastured beef and fix it once or twice a week. It's expensive but healthier compared to conventional beef (for them as well as us-), so I mostly buy pastured chuck, which makes for awesome braised beef and str fries. (mmm-ooo!)

On average, Americans eat a shocking 270 lbs of beef pp (and that's way down from the peak in the late 70s). That's 5 pounds of beef a week per person, more than any other country other than Luxemburg, of all places. My husband and I don't eat half that much beef put together, and we're omnivores who appreciate beef. At about a pound a week apiece, we feel like we get plenty. Even twice that would be a reduction of 50+% for the average American!

If Americans followed even the conservative current meal guidelines from the USDA (which are influenced by big ag/big meat), there'd be a lot less metabolic syndrome (obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high blood lipids--nearly 50% of Americans over 50 have metabolic syndrome). Today's USDA recommendation is to fill 1/2 of your lunch and dinner plate with veggies (cooked and raw), 1/4 with meat or other protein like tofu or eggs, and 1/4 with carbs, preferably from root vegetables or fruit rather than grain. (Other guidelines include replacing soda with water and using less salt.) Following these guidelines for at least some breakfasts would be a good idea, too. This morning we enjoyed crustless chard/fennel/leek quiche. Beats pop tarts with a stick! (I think the last time I ate a pop tart was in the late 60s/early 70s on a hike-) I am not grain-free...we eat old-fashioned oatmeal (sweetened with a grated apple) a couple times a week in cold weather--and homemade granola or muesli a couple times a week in warm weather.

=alstro, not holier than thou, but doing my best although it's hard to make up for past sins
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us