The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-93-yo-mother-is-in-a-somewhat-independent-30572853.aspx

Subject:  Re: Something to inquire about Date:  3/4/2013  12:59 PM
Author:  Bobcatkitty Number:  18265 of 19021

My 93 y/o Mother is in a somewhat independent assisted living facility. Their policy even in the event of a fall (and my Mother has had 2 that I know of so far) is to not even assist the person back to their feet. The required step is to call 911.

And at the risk of being called all sorts of names, I don't believe it is always in the best interest of the "patient" to have extraordinary efforts to sustain life. And at times it's also not in the best interest of the family members.

My Father lived for 5 years in a nursing home. During that time he was unable to walk/talk/ or feed himself, my Mother did it all. He also no longer recognized any family member. Toward the blessed end, it was suggested to my Mother to allow the medical staff to install a feeding tube. At some point sanity took over, that feeding tube was not done, and a few months later he died peacefully in his sleep.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us