The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/you-think-the-place-is-sold-and-stop-showing-it-30572926.aspx

Subject:  Re: Selling: more of a rant than anything Date:  3/4/2013  1:22 PM
Author:  VTAlumni Number:  124932 of 127815

You think the place is sold and stop showing it. Then the buyer cancels and want to renegotiate. I think its a negotiating tactic.

I'm really hoping that was not their intent. We know the name of the person now and their realtor. If they submit another offer, or anyone else under that same realtor, they'll receive a lot more scrutiny than others. We'd demand a lot more from them, just for pulling a stunt like this.

Cold feet? Probably, but what do you expect when a big purchase decision like this is rushed through fear of being outbid? Having given up inspections, they had little opportunity to back out and retain their deposit other than the 3 day HOA period. And perhaps they were worried that they over bid, given that they offered over list and were accepted without counter.

I understand your frustration, but be glad that it happened so close to the start of the process, rather than after weeks off the market. You still have plenty of the hot Spring sales market to have someone else pick the place up.

If I were your agent, I would remove it from the market entirely, and relist as "new" once again, along with another open. That should hopefully get your momentum back. It's a rising market...you should do fine, but if there was that much interest right off the bat, look at your pricing seriously to see if you need to raise your price.

I think you're probably right. At least I hope so. I am somewhat kicking myself now for not going with my gut Friday night, which was to thank them for the great offer but tell them they hadn't even shown the house yet and would hope it was still valid the following night as well. We just couldn't pass on the no inspection/appraisal part. The offer really was written as an almost too good to be true type thing. Hindsight...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us