The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-in-the-dc-area-so-heres-two-recent-30573152.aspx

Subject:  Re: Selling: more of a rant than anything Date:  3/4/2013  3:02 PM
Author:  MetroChick Number:  124936 of 127815

I'm in the DC area, so here's two recent anecdotes:

1 - my mom's SFH - the first contract to sell her house ended up falling through a couple days before closing (they said it was over their finance contingency). VERY frustrating for her, since it went under contract end of May and this was beginning of July when it happened - so peak time was already up. Luckily it sold in October for just a couple thousand less than the July offer.

2 - ex-bf just sold his TH. He and his realtor put it on the market on a Thursday, and they advertised any submitted offers will be evaluated at 5PM Monday. So similar tactic - they're trying to get multiple offers, and this way no serious buyer can say "I need a decision on this offer by....". He did get multiple offers that weekend - he didn't end up going for the highest one, he accepted the next highest because the financing looked stronger, and the closing was last week.

So good luck, and when you re-list I'd try tactic #2.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us