The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: Safe to Electronically file taxes? Date:  3/4/2013  9:43 PM
Author:  Donna405 Number:  18268 of 20640

I live in SC also, and my info was hacked out of SC last year. I did not know until I called the IRS regarding their eftps site, and I was advised that someone had already filed their Fed taxes in my name. The lady was quite nice and gave me instructions on what to do. This occurred prior to the press release by the State of SC that the DOR site had been hacked. This has been a real pain in the you-know-where. So, I filed my paper return, get a letter from the IRS stating they needed something else (which they already had). In February, I called the IRS ombudsman (lady) and explained that I am in dire straits and need my refund. Well, what do you know. I had to fax her my return and accompanying documentation. Then she calls and states they cannot ready driver's license. Well, SC has halograms all over our DL's and they do not copy (the purpose of the holograms). Now, I am on a waiting game again. I am not really in dire straits, but I spent $15K rehabbing my house in Florida and I still owe another $10K. So, I guess I am in dire straits.

The ombudsman told me that I could file online this year and next year they will have my PIN number. The IRS is going for IRS pin numbers (not your tax software pin number). In any event, she said when I file electronically, it may take a couple of extra weeks for me to receive my refund, but it would be a lot faster.

In your shoes, I would contact the IRS, explain that you are in SC, and would like to know if someone has filed their 2012 taxes in your name with your SS number. They are quite accommodating.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us