The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-aj-you-bring-a-valid-obviously-perspective-30574665.aspx

Subject:  Re: Selling: more of a rant than anything Date:  3/5/2013  12:17 PM
Author:  Dwdonhoff Number:  124941 of 127815

Hi AJ,

You bring a valid (obviously) perspective given that home showings are generally driven by MLS-focused Realtors®, who are more likely to direct their captive buyers to non-pending listings (if nothing more than to save their own professional time.)

When we advertise rentals and get responses, we *ALWAYS* tell folks right up front "we do have an app with deposit in hand, but you can take a look as a backup if you want." We don't want to waste anybody's time either.

OT - what do you do with the 'standby' checks once a renter moves in? Return them, destroy them, something else?
Pretty much whichever they prefer (which is usually 'destroy it.')

Personally, I don't think I'd bother to fill out a 'standby' rental application if I had to leave a check.
Yep, it cuts away those who are unsure or insufficiently motivated, for sure. Of course, we let the primary applicant know when there are paid backups... it definitely has a setting effect on the primary applicant.

Also of course, all of this 'paid backups' business is only possible in a landlord's market... which, fortunately, we are smack in the middle of at present.

Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us