The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-signed-up-for-the-supernovia-3-months-ago-30578646.aspx

Subject:  Re: Supernova or Income Newsletter from Mottley Date:  3/7/2013  11:41 AM
Author:  ptheland Number:  71470 of 76419

I have signed up for the Supernovia 3 months ago.

I agree wholeheartedly with Rayvt's comments. Newsletters are pretty much just a way to separate you from your money. And that applies to any investing newsletter, not just this one.

However, in the most generous spirit I can muster toward any pay investing newsletter, most investing strategies are longer-term propositions than 3 months. I can't think of any strategy involving stocks that will not suffer underperformance from time to time.

The most important thing you can do with any newsletter is to understand what they are doing and what losses you might expect. It's also important to know what benchmark to test them against. I have no idea what the Supernova portfolio invests in, but it is possible that it would not be appropriate to measure it against the S&P 500. Given it's name, it might be more appropriate to compare it to some small cap index.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us