The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-had-random-thoughts-of-paying-it-off-but-never-30587285.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mismanaged Student Loan Date:  3/13/2013  2:04 AM
Author:  aj485 Number:  306841 of 308470

I had random thoughts of paying it off but never did because it is the only trade line on my credit report other than a credit card.

A paid off tradeline will stay on your credit report for 10 years after the payoff if there are no derogatory marks, and for 7 years if there are derogatory marks.

With no notice it turns out that the servicer changed in Mar of last year. They still took all of the regular payments out until in Aug no payment was removed from my account. I also received what 99.9999% would consider spam email from a company stating they were my loan servicer requesting personal information. Of course it was ignored.

Unfortunately, by ignoring that e-mail, you may have breached the contract yourself. However, it looks like you are not alone in having issues..... http://www.propublica.org/article/student-loan-borrowers-daz...

The switch, which has been going on for months and will ultimately include millions of loans, is mandated by a little-known provision tucked into the 2010 healthcare overhaul. Pushed by a consortium of nonprofit student loan companies, the provision forces the DOE to use nonprofit loan servicers. But at least in the short run, the switch has caused problems.
Ultimately, borrowers having their loans moved over to these new servicers have Congress to thank for it. Coupled with the passage of the health care reconciliation bill was an overhaul of federal student lending, which shifted the government away from backing loans by private lenders — what were known as federally guaranteed student loans — and toward loaning directly to students.

Given that Congress created the problem, I agree that Fuskie's suggestion of having them help solve it might be a good idea. Or here's the name of someone at Mohela that you can contact:

"Anytime you change a servicing relationship, it can cause concern,” said Will Shaffner, Mohela's director of business development and government relations. "They need to pick up the phone and call us. If they're not satisfied with our service or aren't getting answers, they should ask to speak with a supervisor. They can even get in touch with our CEO if they need to.”

Address a registered letter with verification of receipt or an overnight delivery with delivery signature (i.e. proof of delivery) to him.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us