The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gordon-i-fully-agree-with-you-the-last-time-i-30588839.aspx

Subject:  Re: Leasing a car? Date:  3/13/2013  9:11 PM
Author:  Donna405 Number:  18278 of 19378

Gordon, I fully agree with you. The last time I bought a car was in 1997, and I purchased a 1994 Volvo 940, which I am still driving. I agree also, that if a warranty is not offered with the used car, a mechanic should completely inspect the car. I was fortunate, in that I paid cash for the car, did some serious negotiating, including the Blue Book, and had the dealer (Volvo) pay for 1/2 of a 3 year warranty. As a note, the car was still under the original warranty. Two weeks after the original warranty expired, I had problems with the transmission. The $375.00 I paid toward the extended warranty saved me more than $2700.00 in repairs.

Because I keep the maintenance up to date, the car is driving beautifully. At this point, I have no plans to trade it or buy a new one. At the age of 68, this may be my last car. If it is not, I will do the same thing I did when I bought my car 16 years ago. As a note, all maintenance, including 4 new tires, 3 oil changes (at 5,000 miles) and even little irritating things I had replaced...my total bill for the year was around $1,100.00.

Donna
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us