The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-first-step-was-to-send-a-letter-to-the-ceo-and-30588854.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mismanaged Student Loan Date:  3/13/2013  9:24 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  306845 of 308782

My first step was to send a letter to the CEO and I still have the green postcard proof of delivery. The response was less than stellar. My request for an email in which to communicate was completely ignored and the letter wasn't even signed by a human being. There was absolutely no name anywhere on the letter! I didn't expect a personal response from the CEO but I did expect some professionalism.

I have found that sending a letter to someone at a lower level than the CEO often gets a better response than sending directly to the CEO. After all, it's usually pretty easy to find out who the CEO of a particular company is. If you go to the effort to find the name and title of someone who is less easy to find out about than the CEO, but who still has a title that should have some pull, it shows the company that you are putting time into getting this resolved, and will continue to do so, so they better get it fixed. Plus, the lower level people probably have a bit more time to deal with things like annoyed customers. If you can also copy someone else, like the FTC, the CFPB, the Dept of Education, a Congressperson, an attorney general, or your own attorney, you will also often get a better response.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us