The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-it-appears-there-is-a-point-where-mahers-30593356.aspx

Subject:  Re: Maher's $$ more important than his politics Date:  3/16/2013  6:18 PM
Author:  warrl Number:  674957 of 743925

So it appears there is a point where Maher's money becomes more important than his politics.

I've been under the impression for some time that Maher is a political mercenary. Remember, he used to be fairly even-handed, then he got pulled off the political show that had his name in the title. He apparently got the message, turned into a raving leftie loon, and promptly got another political show with his name in the title. But there have been frequent hints that he doesn't really believe it.

Now I'm not saying he's a closeted libertarian - there is little or nothing to support such a claim. Yeah, he's in favor of drug legalization, but that's a position that crosses all political boundaries - I know people who would really prefer we execute drug dealers but say that since we aren't going to get serious about stopping recreational drugs, legalization would be less damaging than the current pretense.

Nope, I just think he's a political mercenary. If he thought he'd be better off financially as a hard-core libertarian comedian/commentator, he'd switch hats as quickly as plausible. (And occasionally slip and drop hints that he doesn't really believe it.)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us