The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/1099b-costproceeds-does-not-reflect-options-30593745.aspx

Subject:  1099B cost/proceeds does not reflect options Date:  3/17/2013  8:17 AM
Author:  kmbbubba Number:  118072 of 121481

Hi folks,

I am starting to slog through my taxes. Now that the brokers are required to report cost basis on the 1099Bs, I see that the cost basis is not reported correctly for transactions where a put was exercised and shares were put to me. Likewise, the sale price or proceeds is not reported correctly where a call was exercised and shares were called away from me.

I looked at IRS Publ. 550, and it says that, as always, the effect of a put or call exercise should be reflected in the cost or the proceeds of each stock sale reported on Schedule D.

On the other hand, I see pustings/articles in the professional tax community saying that taxpayers should not report a number on their tax returns than is different from the one shown on the broker's 1099B.

So, I am at a loss what to do, and would welcome any suggestions, especially from tax pros.

Thanks a lot.

Bubba
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us