The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/joel-as-i-said-this-is-the-first-time-ive-been-30595728.aspx

Subject:  Re: Warning: Removal of Liquidity Fees Date:  3/18/2013  4:58 PM
Author:  globalist2013 Number:  34834 of 35357

Joel,

As I said, this is the first time I've been hit with this fee, and I do a lot of bond executions through them. For buy-side transactions, IB used to be cheaper than anyone, but they didn't quote as widely as other discounters. Where they did stand out was on the sell-side. Often, I could hit the bid and be out, instead of having to mess with the 'soliciting quotes' process that other bond brokers use.

I've been with IB a long time, and they're tops for trading futures or options (and, of course, stocks and ETFs). So I won't pull money from them. I need them. What I will do, though, is execute elsewhere if the bond position is intended to be long-term. For the stuff I might need to be able to get out of fast, I'll have to keep using IB and pay the fee. Risk-management is risk-management, and I'm not going to quibble over a few bucks in fees compared with putting hundreds at risk from delayed executions.

Charlie
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us