The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jadeandrio-i-agree-with-telegraph-youre-not-30598126.aspx

Subject:  Re: Managing retirement savings? Date:  3/20/2013  7:10 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  18291 of 19371

jadeandrio:

I agree with telegraph. You're not getting good advice. I won't repeat everything t said, but pay attention to him!

My main advice is this: Study up and learn about how to manage your own money. Forget the so-called "newsletters", which are published by individuals and organizations to make money for themselves! Avoid annuities and life insurance salesmen.

$32,000/year is NOT a "small pension"! Ye gods! We live mostly on our combined Social Security payments, plus a few thousand I take in dribs and drabs from my IRA, as needed.

I maintain my IRA myself, with a combination of a few good dividend-paying stocks (like AT&T and B&G Foods, to name a couple), a couple of REIT's (which pay VERY high dividends but must be watched carefully), and some growth stocks.

I do NOT have money in any mutual funds, but that's because I watch my own investments carefully on a daily basis.

My two cents.

Good luck!

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us