The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-for-the-thoughts-i-have-no-intention-of-30598232.aspx

Subject:  Re: Which basket? Date:  3/20/2013  9:07 AM
Author:  ResNullius Number:  18295 of 19483

Thanks for the thoughts. I have no intention of dying in the next 30 years, if I can help it! Accountants do have their own way of looking at things.

No, your accountant is only looking at what increases his retirement fund, not yours. Even if he/she sent you to an "independent" insurance agent, he/she still would get a piece of the action. Believe me, financial advisors do not have your best interests in mind when they provide you with advice, plain and simple. Most folks don't have any defined benefit pension, so what you have is really quite nice. When you reach SS, then you'll get even more. As for your investments, you could put 70% in a Vanguard bond fund and 30% in Vanguard's Total Market fund. If you can handle more risk, then up the Total Market allocation. If you can't handle it, then you can lower it. Alternatively, stay with what you have, but don't buy insurance, annuities, or anything at all that is purchased via a bank, financial advisor, CPA, accountant, or dog catcher.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us