The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Legal expenses on the private sale of stock Date:  3/21/2013  3:43 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  118103 of 127753

Can I deduct my remaining 2012 legal expenses as part of the "Selling Expenses" I incurred for this transaction?

Let me put my answer this way. I don't know if you can, but in your shoes, I would. The expenses just strike me as being incurred as an integral part of the sale.

Should the company have sent me any type of tax form (such as a 1099) reporting the sale?

Whether they should or not is their problem, not yours. If I were advising them, I'd advise them to file a 1099B.

But whether one is issued or not, your concern is reporting the sale on your return. The 1099 doesn't matter to you or change your tax obligation in any way.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us