The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: Annual Income Taxes Done Date:  3/22/2013  7:52 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  18308 of 20014

How do you define "over 65"...if you both turn 65 in 2012, does this rule apply to filing 2012 taxes, or would you need to turn 65 before 2012?

I define "over 65" as at least 66, thus I apologize. I should have said "65 or older as of the end of the tax year." (See general comments below.)

Also...I thought you had to pay income taxes if your income as a couple was at least $32k and $25k for individuals, including Social Security. At least that's what it says on the SSA site:

"You will have to pay federal taxes on your Social Security benefits if you file a federal tax return as an individual and your total income is more than $25,000. If you file a joint return, you will have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a total income of more than $32,000."

Indeed it does say that. It's poorly worded. It should have said "You may have to pay...." In fairness to the SSA, you quoted only the first paragraph of that FAQ page. Imm