The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-phil-were-getting-married-this-summer-30601637.aspx

Subject:  Re: Est taxes - one pmt instead of quarterly? Date:  3/22/2013  8:28 AM
Author:  Jennlee222 Number:  118112 of 120798

Thanks, Phil,

We're getting married this summer. We will be merging finances and will each be coming into the marriage with no debt (other than houses) and approximately the same amount (pretty decent amount) each of savings and investments.

I do hope to be the main financial person, because I feel like I am financially-minded and generally like thinking about that area. Although he's very smart (he's a PhD and super good at computers, math, and science).

My thought is to not pay ahead on the principle of the thing, not wanting to give the government money earlier than necessary. But he has enough extra money that he can afford to do this, he feels the way he has things set up it is a hassle, and as you said, we aren't earning much in interest on keeping the money with rates so low.

I'm wondering if we'll have much difference in our taxes for 2013 because we'll be filing jointly. I earn about 1/2 what he does, and usually I get a small refund.

I was considering plugging our 2012 numbers into the tax software as if we'd been married, just to see how things look as a prediction, but so far I haven't had the time. I wonder if this would be a good exercise, although if there was an impact, I don't know what we'd do about it.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us