The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-i-meant-was-we-arent-married-yet-and-wont-30602465.aspx

Subject:  Re: Est taxes - one pmt instead of quarterly? Date:  3/22/2013  3:34 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  118127 of 121599

What I meant was we aren't married yet and won't be until pretty late in the summer. I don't want to make changes like with withholding until we are actually married, and then there isn't that much of the year left.

All the more reason to deal with the issue now rather than waiting. Do you really want to get into "See how much marriage is costing me because of your income?" while his mother his still nagging you to send his thank you notes? Since I'm under the impression (maybe incorrect) that he's got plenty of available cash now, he could boost his ES payment so that your projected joint return wouldn't make the two of you wince at the balance due. (That number varies widely by couple, but should be reached by discussion, not assumption.) This approach would leave "his" money "his" in case something goes awry. (If you're not concerned about anything going awry, I don't see the point of waiting to address the inevitable effect of marriage on taxes.

In short, things just aren't adding up here in the Peanut Gallery.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us