The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-a-zombie-twin-is-logically-possible-it-30603455.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mary, zombies and consciousness Date:  3/23/2013  11:21 AM
Author:  1DEG Number:  419665 of 445695

If a zombie-twin is logically possible, it follows that my experiences involve something beyond my physical makeup. For my zombie-twin shares my entire physical makeup, but does not share my experiences. This, however, means that physical science cannot express all the facts about my experiences.

This completely ignores how our experiences change us physically. Our experiences are stored as memories in our brains. Physical changes take place in our brains to store these memories. Furthermore, our experiences can affect the makeup of our neurotransmitters which affect all sorts of things about us. Our experiences affect our hormones, which affect all sorts of things about us. So you cannot be physically identical to your zombie twin and not have had the same experiences. You can have something that started out as physically identical to you at birth, but then the different experiences led to subtle changes. In fact, you don't even need a thought experiment for this. The phenomenon happens pretty frequently here on Earth. It's called identical twins.

DEG
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us