The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-is-always-legal-responsibility-of-the-listing-30604390.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rant of my Own Date:  3/24/2013  11:11 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  124995 of 127815

It is always legal responsibility of the Listing Agent to get ALL of the details of the listed property correct before it goes-up in the MLS listing.

That is a rather definitive statement given that real estate law varies from state to state. I can tell you that it has not been the case in any of the states I have had real estate transactions in, nor was it the case when I went for licensing to sell real estate in PA. There are enough legal disclaimers to choke a horse on the listing contract, listing, purchase and sales contract, etc, most of which tell you that the info is subject to errors and omissions, buyer beware, that the Realtor/broker is not a lawyer and you should get one if you have questions. In the various states I've experienced RE, it is actually the title insurance that makes sure the details are correct, and insures you against their having screwed up. But if you wait until that point to verify, you will have paid for many expensive things like appraisal and inspection.

No one should ever count on the listing agent or their selling agent to have gotten it right. In some states RE licensing is so easy to get that you might not even need a pulse to get it.

IP
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us