The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  RSU Questions Date:  3/24/2013  3:13 PM
Author:  DreamsUnlimited Number:  118135 of 127747

I think my question was indirectly covered couple of times here. But I wanted to double check my understanding! Here is the situation:

I received some ristricted stock units (RSU) in 2011. A part of the award was released (168 shares to be exact to make it easy with the math) in 2012. My company (per my direction) sold 61 shares on the day of the release to cover various federal/state taxes. 107 shares were issued to me and currently sit in my account with the book keeper of the plan.

My company verbally informed me (after my enquiry) that all the shares released (168) were included and reported as income in box 1 of the W-2. And the taxes paid were included in various tax boxes of the W-2. All I received from the book keeper of the plan was a statement with all the details. I received no other tax document like 1099-B either from my company or the book keeper.

Here are my questions:

1. I do not need to declare a stock sale in 2012 on this because it's already included in my 2012 income and taxes paid, right?

2. When I do sell the 107 shares the cost basis is going to be the market value on the date of the release, right?

3. When I sell the 107 shares my basis is again for 107 shares only, right? No need to go back to the original 168 number, right?

4. When I do sell the 107 shares am I going to recieve 1099-B from the broker?

Thanks very much for any info.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us